limestone_luke_tallThe settlement of Stonewall was found in the 1800’s as a major limestone production centre. Stonewall still proudly maintains its heritage of limestone production through their many historical buildings. Main Street is lined with notable limestone buildings such as the Post Office/Library and the Town Hall. One of the abandoned quarries has been beautified and developed into the Stonewall Quarry Park. The park preserves much of Stonewall’s history. In the 1960’s, Stonewall began to diversify its economy and move away from its dependence on limestone. Planning and careful development have resulted in a prosperous community, with a positive and diverse economic environment.


Limestone Kilns at Quarry Park
These structures are remnants of the once thriving limestone quarry industry in Stonewall. Limestone was quarried and then processed in these structures to produce calcium oxide or quicklime. When limestone is heated, carbon dioxide is released to the air and a white powder is left behind.

Daily admission | Adult: $6.00 | Student/Senior: $4.00 | Family: $4.00
Kinsmen Lake
At the north end of Main Street, you will find beautiful Kinsmen Lake. This man made lake was developed on the site of a former limestone quarry by the Stonewall Kinsmen Club. The lake officially opened on August 10, 1956 and rapidly became a favorite spot for locals and visitors alike. Today the lake is part of Quarry Park.

Kinsmen Lake is open daily to the public from June until Labor Day.
The Stone Diaries
In author Carol Shields novel ‘The Stone Diaries”, Cuyler Goodwill worked in the stone quarries in Stonewall. This novel won the 1995 Pullitzer Prize for literature as well as Canada’s Governor General Award

Click here to buy the Stone Diaries Book
Quarry Park Campground
Camping facilities range from unserviced tenting sites to fully serviced pull through sites that accommodate the larger units. The campground offers daily, weekly, and monthly rates. Seasonal camping is also available. Modern washrooms complete with showers are centrally located.

Open: May – September